The first book or Section in Meditations by Marcus Aurelius is quite unique. What it does, is go through a list of people that have been a part in Aurelius’s life and he talks about attributes and qualities of that person. He even goes on and talks about “The Gods.”
Now, why do I like this?
I like this because it is clear to me that the most important thing we obtain here on this earth are our relationships. This includes relationship with spouses, family, friends, co-workers, strangers and maybe even our enemies. We become who we are through the relationships we make in this life.
Some highlights from book one:
- When he talks about his mother ” the simple way she lived- not in the least like the rich.” It is cool to hear the most powerful man in the world say its important to live simply, not like the rich live.
- “To put up with discomfort” From his “First Teacher.”
- “Read attentively – don’t be satisfied with getting just the gist of it” This is a cool one because I have an issue with just skimming things when I read. I really shouldn’t be doing that because I am not getting as much out of the reading as I could. From Rusticus.
- “Never doubt your friend’s affection for you” – Severus ( His Brother )
- “Doing your job without whining” – From Maximus
There is a lot of good advice and ideas in this chapter. A lot of things to think about as we go on with our daily lives. I am in admiration with Aurelius’s admiration for these people. I hope that I can live a life where someone might include me in their “list” of admireres.
Take time to reflect on your relationships and all the positive things you have learned from them. Even though this chapter is a bit out of the ordinary, I find it to be very rewarding.